Friday, June 22, 2007

Is love enough?

I saw some friends of ours downtown today. It's always so bittersweet because, while we usually have a good laugh or two (or at least a smile), it leaves me sad and wanting to do more.

A friend of ours who we met back in November and who now lives in Des Moines, Al, said to me one time that I can't save anyone but I can love them. I do love them but it doesn't seem to change their circumstances and that makes me sad.

I know I can't save anyone. I know circumstances aren't what matters most, faith in God is. I know that loving someone can show Christ's love in a way that changes hearts. But dang-it!!! I don't know if I can love people enough to overshadow their hopelessness.

You know, if we are hungry, we grab a bite to eat.

If we are tired, we lay in our soft warm beds in a quiet room.

If we are sick, we go to the doctor and get the care and meds we need.

If we need a clean shirt, we grab one out of the closet. If all our clothes are dirty in a pile, we wash them. If our clothes are not the right size we buy new ones.

If it rains/snows/sleets/hails or if our allergies are getting us, we go indoors.

If we get discouraged, we seek out encouragement from those around us.

If we get lonely we call a friend.

I saw a friend, John, today who was shaking uncontrollably and sick to his stomach because he was 'saving' his Friday night drinks for later. His shirt was dirty. He is alone most times I see him. He was kicked out of his 'home' under the bridge a few weeks back and now sleeps behind buildings until someone notices him. He covers up with the same quilt he got from us last winter. He just got barred for life from a five city block area owned by a local bank. He says it will be okay as long as he doesn't let the second-shift security guard see him. His addiction, paired with his mental state, is going to kill him. He's skinnier each time I see him. My heart breaks for him.

And, there's nothing I can do but pray for him, bring lunch for him, chat with him, and watch him die.

Love is not enough.

No comments: